By Kate Marin
One of the most exciting things about fall is the opportunity to get a little more creative with the way we dress. Cooler weather allows us (and even sometimes requires us) to embrace layers and accessories in richer fabrics and textures — cozy fleeces, thick knits, sturdy denim, and leather accents. With so many new options to play with, fall is no doubt the perfect time to experiment with the pieces you have and try out a few new looks.
This fall, TZR editors are teaming up with SOREL and The Style Room Powered by Zappos for an inside look at how to bring to life four key trends that utilize the season’s best style offerings. From ultra-cozy looks that are just as stylish as they are comfortable to vintage-inspired plaids and knits, our experts are breaking down four key trends and exactly how they plan on wearing them this fall.
1. Out ‘N About Plus Conquest: I’ve been hiking more than ever this year, and I love that these shoes transition seamlessly between the trail and mid-day errands. Plus, the faux-fur collar makes them feel as cozy as a slipper.
2. Mini Pillow Bag: Crossbody bags have become an essential part of my everyday wardrobe — not only for the option to wear them hands-free, but because of the simple fact that a shoulder bag will not stay put once I start wearing heavier layers. I love the quilted details on this bag, and the navy blue colorway is just as versatile as black but a little more interesting.
3. Slim Perfect Long Sleeve: It’s as simple as one could possibly get, but a long-sleeved tee is one of my most-loved layering pieces once the weather starts to dip. This slim-fit silhouette makes styling a breeze since there’s no bulky sleeves or neckline to manage.
4. Shanti 1/2 Zip Sherpa: Fleece is my go-to for outdoor activities during the cooler months, whether it’s an early morning dog walk or camping out in the desert.
5. Utility Pleated Balloon: Put-together-looking but roomy enough for lounging around, these cotton pants really combine the best of both worlds.
1. SOREL Lennox Lace: These are kind of the quintessential fall boot. Super walkable and a little rugged, but streamlined enough for everyday. The red laces are a fun little nod to nostalgic Americana and I love that the suede upper is waterproof to withstand whatever unpredictable weather NYC has in store.
2. Hazy Plaid Cami Dress: Slip dresses have become a year-round staple, and this subtle plaid print and fuller skirt from Vince fees just seasonal enough. I’d wear this as-is with a chunky cardigan or layer a long-sleeved bodysuit underneath for extra warmth later in the season.
3. Carabiner Link Collar Necklace: My everyday collection of delicate gold jewelry doesn’t deviate much, but lately I’ve been into mixing in some chunkier layers. I love to mix and match metals and lengths for a look that’s personalized but still goes with everything.
4. Multi-Color V-Neck Sweater: Nothing feels better than an oversized sweater during the fall, and this Jason Wu iteration is so versatile. The multicolor neutral is a nice alternative to traditional grey, and it will pair just as well with your favorite vintage denim as with a leather pant or flowy midi.
5. Freya Flap Satchel: Croc-embossed leather and smart, subtle details make this traditionally structured bag feel contemporary. It’s just the right size for daily essentials, and the optional crossbody strap makes it extra-functional for busy days.
1. Blake Bootie: “When it comes to heeled boots, I obsess over every little detail. Living where I do in upstate New York, I’m always looking for a bootie that is as comfortable and functional as it is versatile. Slightly platformed and made with waterproof, full-grain leather, the Blake Bootie offers exactly this with quality and consideration for a more seasonal climate. This is a worry-free, errand-friendly boot.”
2. Ruby Suede Medium Shoulder Flap Bag: “The oh-so-delicious addition, for which you’ll be thanking yourself later, is this matcha-green shoulder bag. Totally boho and definitely low-key, this bag is an effortless outfit band-aid that I’ll be keeping in rotation for years to come.”
3. Printed Turnt Bodysuit: “To be worn on its own or underneath a sweater, this playsuit brings a sensual element for date night without sacrificing comfort. I’m playing with layered gold jewelry and pearl details to bring this look to life, opting for reliable hoops and a few of my necklaces.”
4. Ex-Boyfriend Sherpa Jacket: “I have way too many jackets, but this one will always have a special place. Wrap yourself up like a cocoon in an inviting, oversized denim trucker jacket. Levi’s sherpa jackets are the OG and fold in heritage and warmth with ease, pulling this look together with an Americana classic I can always depend on.”
5. Balloon Leg: “Comfort is king this year, so I’m starting this look off by slipping into something chic and comfortable like these balloon-leg jeans for some baseline warmth and maximal ease. This is all about not just looking, but being cozy. “
1. Out ‘N About Plus Mid: “This is a great goes-with-everything sneaker and is also incredibly comfortable. I plan to live in them this fall, pairing them with everything from jeans to casual skirts and dresses.”
2. Hunter Mini Skirt: “This skirt is the perfect length (short but not too short for my taste) and a great casual piece for weekends. I especially love the ruffle detail.”
3. Daphne Topcoat: “A trench is a classic wardrobe stable, and one that’s great for layering over tees and hoodies on rainy days.”
4. Interval Hoodie: Nothing beats a comfy hoodie—especially one in a versatile gray that you can wear with almost anything.
5. Revival Backpack: “This is technically a mini backpack, but still fits a ton of stuff and is perfect for when you want to be hands-free.”