Q&A With Revlon Global Artistic Director, Gucci Westman
Happy New York Fashion Week! We hope you’re ready for a week-full of behind-the-scenes beauty scoops, because that’s what we have in-store for you, fab readers. Starting strong out of the gate, we spoke to none other than Revlon’s Global Artistic Director, cosmetic connoisseur Gucci Westman, to get the 4-1-1 on everything from her favorite beauty trends to her go-to New York hot spots and the runway shows she is most excited to see. Swoon! Dig the Q&A below now, and stay tuned for more insider glamour tomorrow!
1. When you’re not creating looks backstage, what are your favorite shows to attend? Any collections you’re especially excited to view this season?
I like Marc Jacobs. His shows are always entertaining, and there is always great people watching! This year I am especially excited to view to view the Fall collection from Celine, Rag & Bone, YSL and Oscar de la Renta.
2. What have been some particularly memorable or personal favorite looks you’ve created during Fashion Weeks’ past?
Oscar de la Renta is so much fun and the looks are always memorable. Proenza was also a fun show because of the variety of looks. I liked the one season we did natural lips on some girls, and a very quirky look on others. It was a very cool show. I love getting to do shows where I get to try different looks. The Nina Ricci show I enjoyed because of the use of subtle dusty shades. I also loved the one season I did a Terracotta skin and a tomato lip for the Thakoon show. Rag & Bone is a show close to my heart and I loved the show last spring. I’m really looking forward to the show this fall.
3. The city is hustling & bustling during NYFW—what are your favorite places to grab a bite, drinks, unwind, etc?
When we’re in a rush, we love Corsino. It’s quick, easy, and always yummy! L’Artusi is another one of my favorite restaurants, it’s super cozy. Morandi, and Tia Pol, are also great places to grab a bite, and the Greenwich Hotel is my favorite place to unwind and have a drink!
4. Any unconventional, insider beauty tips for our readers?
Great skin starts from within. My skin quality changed after I stopped having coffee. It feels more elastic and has more color. I am also a fan of Harmless Harvest coconut water, and I like to use alkaline water on my skin.
5. What are the most universally-flattering makeup trends you’ve seen around lately?
Classic beauties with a flash of color! I also like a chic look like Faye Dunaway in Network. For example, flashes of color, and mismatching a lip shade with an outfit, just young and fun!
6. Has your beauty aesthetic changed since you first started in the business? If so, how?
I’m more natural than before, but I tend to dress up my fashion style. I do my makeup kind of in a uniform way every day. I like my hair to be less messy than when I was younger, and I dress less tricky and more chic. For my work I try to evolve with the times, and come up with new textures and ways of doing make up as I go.
7. Who are your ultimate beauty icons?
Grace Kelly, Jackie O, Tippi Hedren, Kim Novak, Faye Dunaway and Kate Moss. Each woman is uniquely beautiful in their own way.
8. If you had to give one piece of beauty advice to all women, what would it be?
Get out of the habit of repeating your routine! Don’t be afraid to try new looks, and experiment with new shades and colors.