Parmesan and Leek Sourdough Stuffing
A dish from What’s Gaby Cooking
- 1 loaf sourdough bread, cubed (about 10 oz)
- 6 leeks, cut in half and sliced (white and pale green parts only)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 bunch green onions, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 eggs, whisked
- 1 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
- 2 cups chicken or turkey stock
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Place the cubes sourdough bread onto a baking sheet and place it into the oven for about 15 minutes until the bread is toasted and just golden brown. Remove the baking sheet from the oven and set it aside to cool.
3. Place the cut leeks into a colander and rinse well to make sure any grit or dirt is removed.
4. In a large skillet over medium high heat, add the butter and the olive oil and let the butter melt. Add the leek to the skillet and sauté for 6-7 minutes until tender. Add the green onion and garlic and sauté for 1 minute more. Season with a generous pinch of salt and pepper and remove the skillet from the heat.
5. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, parmesan cheese and chicken stock. Once combined, add the toasted bread and leek mixture and stir to combine. If the bread still looks pretty dry, add about 1/2 cup of stock until all the bread is fairly moist. Season with salt and pepper.
6. Transfer the mixture into a large baking dish, about 12×8 inches, and cover with a piece of foil.
7. Place the stuffing into the oven and bake for 30 minutes. Then remove the foil and let it continue to bake for 30 more minutes until done.
8. Remove the stuffing from the oven and serve immediately. (Preferably with a big plate of turkey, gravy and mashed potatoes!)